||[Sep. 5th, 2008|12:01 pm]
The last batch was full of fail with a side order of suck.|
I tried for an all reclaimed lard* recipe with milk, honey and oatmeal. It seemed like a good idea when I started. I recalled that dealing with milk is always iffy and decided to start with about a 50/50 lye solution so that I could add lots of milk at trace.
I'm fairly certain that the major mistake was failing to recall that crystals (sugar, salt, honey, etc.) add heat and that lard, when melted, is really hot.
I didn't wait long enough for things to cool down.
The milk scorched and just kept turning darker and darker. I couldn't tell if the soap had traced or if it was lumpy because the oatmeal had cooked. I over added scent and am pretty sure I saw it swimming on the top in the mold. It may have just been fat that refused to saponify since the next day when I unmolded for cutting there was a large plug of fat at the top.
I threw the whole thing out. I didn't even bother to salvage the transparencies.
Wow, did that suck.
So, today, I tried a different recipe: Cucumber Mint.
Yes, with real cucumber. And this time, real mint!
It turned out beautiful!
I can only hope that the color (and the mint) survive the lye although I don't expect them to despite insulating (or because).
Anyway, that's the soap update.
I'll be teaching at Red Dragon the same class I taught at Pennsic. We'll see how it goes this time around.
*My mother was on Atkins and saves pan drippings anyway so I have a lot of lard. It's fairly easy to clean and is superb for facial bars.